Who doesn’t love a big, comforting bowl of homemade Vegan Split Pea Soup?! This one is perfect in the Fall and Winter with its hearty smokiness full of veggies, split peas, herbs, and spices. You and your family will love it!
Dice the onion, carrot, celery, and potato. Heat your soup pot, add olive oil, and onion. Let soften and then add carrot and celery. Cook a few minutes longer until tender.
Add garlic, bay leaves, Herbs de Provence, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Cook for about a minute until fragrant.
The veggies and herbs will cook down a bit. Then, add the split peas and water. Cook for about 45 minutes.
When the split peas are softened, add the potato and bouillon.
Once the potatoes are soft, blend 1/2 the soup and return to pot to heat through, and season with salt and pepper.
Vegan Split Pea Soup
- 1 t. Olive oil
- 1 Onion diced small
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 t. Herbs de Provence crushed
- 1/2 t. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 t. Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 C. Green split peas rinsed
- 7 C. Water
- 1 Potato small, cubed
- 2 T. Vegetable Bouillon depends on how salty yours is
- Sea salt
- Black pepper ground
- Dice onion, carrot, celery, and potato. Rinse the split peas.
- Heat your soup pot and add the olive oil and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add carrot and celery. Stir occasionally until softened.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, herbs de Provence, smoked paprika, and turmeric powder. Cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add split peas and water. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are soft.
- Add potato and bouillon and continue simmering until potato is cooked through.
- Blend half of the soup and add back to pot. Season with salt and pepper.