Another fall-inspired treat, which will satisfy any cravings you may have for Oatmeal Raisin Bars. I love a great cookie or bar and this particular version is not only vegan, but also whole-grain and includes a medley of autumn spices to keep it interesting. You probably have most of these ingredients in your kitchen right now.
First, combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and allow to thicken while you mix the other ingredients. Next, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
In a mixer or by hand, combine the coconut oil, vegan butter, brown sugar, and vanilla bean powder.
Pour the dry ingredients into the mixer and combine. Since it is still hot here on Maui, I usually put my cookie/bar dough in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to firm it up. After this, spread the dough in a parchment lined 8×8 pan.
Bake in 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.
Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Chai-Spiced Bars
- 1 T. Flax seed ground
- 3 T. Water
- 3/4 C. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 t. Baking soda
- 1/4 t. Sea salt
- 1 3/4 t. Pumpkin pie spice I made my own from spices I had on hand
- 1/4 t. Cardamom
- 1 1/2 C. Rolled oats
- 1/2 C. Raisins
- 1/4 C. Unrefined coconut oil melted
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 C. Brown sugar packed
- 1/2 t. Vanilla powder or extract
- For the flax egg, mix the flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set it aside while you combine your other ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients, including the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom. Next, add the rolled oats and raisins.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients. These are the coconut oil, vegan butter, brown sugar, and vanilla powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Place in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up before spreading in a parchment lined 8x8' baking dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- They are done when slightly golden on the edges.
- Cool before cutting into squares.