I have been working on this Vegan Italian Sausage and Chestnut Dressing recipe for the past 8 years. It is inspired by my Grandma Pezzopane and with just a few tweaks, voila, no dairy or meat. It contains vegan Italian Sausage by Field Roast. An awesome company by the way. It also contains water chestnuts to give it some nice texture. It has all of the traditional herbs such as sage, thyme, and rosemary. I give it some Italian flair with caramelized onion, garlic, mushrooms, shallots, white wine, flat-leafed parsley, and the sausage. It was a hit at our Thanksgiving celebration. I hope you enjoy it!
The basic run down is sauté the vegetables
Caramelize the vegetables.
Sauté and brown the Field Roast Italian Sausage.
Mix the herb Dressing mix into the vegetables and sausage. Add the vegetable bouillon, parsley, and water chestnuts. Place in an 11″ x 7″ baking dish. I love baking it in my cast iron Le Creuset pan because it crisps and browns the edges and bottom.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven covered for 40 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for 20 minutes to crisp the top.
- 2 t. Extra virgin olive oil to sauté the vegetables plus more to oil the baking pan
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 shallots, minced
- 2 C. Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 5-10 oz. Field Roast Italian Sausage, sliced
- ¼ C. White wine
- ¼-1/2 C. Herbs, chopped, Flat-leaf Italian parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary
- 10 oz. Arrowhead Mills Savory Herb Stuffing mix
- 1½ C. vegetable bouillon
- ⅓ C. Water chestnuts, chopped
- ¼ C. Earth Balance, melted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat large sauté pan and add 2 t. of extra virgin olive oil. Sauté onion with a pinch of salt.
- When the onions are just beginning to brown add the celery. When the celery softens add the mushrooms, shallots, and garlic.
- When the vegetables are brown deglaze with white wine to pick up the brown bits. Next, move them to the side of the pan and brown the sausage.
- Turn the heat off and add the stuffing mix, herbs, vegetable bouillon and water chestnuts. Mix until the dry mix has been moistened and everything has been distributed throughout the mixture. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper.
- Press the mixture into an oiled 11" x 7" pan. Drizzle the melted vegan butter.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes and then uncovered for 20 minutes until the top is browned.