I found a really great sounding recipe for Carrot Coconut Soup from a little cafe in Raglan, New Zealand which was perfect timing because I had a couple of pounds of fresh carrots I needed to put to good use. Making changes along the way, it came out flavorful and just rich enough to be satisfying. I garnished the finished soup with minced jalapeño pepper and raw pepitas. I will definitely be making this again switching up the carrots with sweet potatoes or Kabocha squash. I believe it would freeze nicely for quick healthy meals.
Vegan Carrot Coconut Soup
A fresh tasting, creamy soup that is light, yet satisfying. I served it with a grilled whole grain tortilla for dipping and a kale salad.
- 2 t. Coconut oil unrefined
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 T. Ginger grated
- 1/2 jalapeño minced
- 1/2 t. Cumin ground
- 1/2 t. Coriander ground
- 4 C. Fresh carrots chopped
- 4 C. Vegetable bouillon
- 3/4 can of full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a soup pot and add onion. Cook until beginning to brown slightly.
- Add garlic, ginger, jalapeño, cumin, and coriander. Cook until fragrant.
- Add carrots and vegetable bouillon and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until carrots are easily pierced with a fork.
- Blend in batches in blender until smooth. Don't overfill the blender with hot liquids. It can splatter and burn you.
- Pour puréed soup back into pot and add coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Gently reheat but don't bring to a boil. The coconut milk can "break" or separate.
- Serve with minced jalapeño and pepitas for garnish.
Adapted from a recipe posted by The Shack in Raglan, New Zealand.
Leave a Reply