The fresh flavors of the tropics in a simple salad dressing, Lilikoi Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for passion fruit. This unique fruit grows on a vine in tropical and subtropical regions of the world. It is about 2-3” in size with a thick rind filled with pulp and seeds. There are 3 kinds that I know of purple, yellow, and orange. It has a distinctive sweet and tangy flavor that takes this dressing to the next level. This photo shows passion fruit, star fruit and apple banana. To make the juice, place the pulp and seeds in a fine mesh sieve and gently push the juice through. You’ll end up with an orange colored juice that you can use for this dressing.
With just 9 simple ingredients, you can make a delightful refreshing dressing for everyday, but one I have used the last several years for a special holiday salad.
Lilikoi Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 1/2 T. Lilikoi juice or substitute orange juice
- 1 t. Maple syrup
- 1 1/2 T. Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 T. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 T. Minced shallot
- Pinch of salt
- 1 t. Orange zest
- 2 1/2 T. Olive oil
- 1/2 t. Black pepper ground
- In a small jar, combine lilikoi or orange juice, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallot, salt, and orange zest. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add olive oil and black pepper. Cover with a leak-proof lid and shake to combine.
A great salad to serve at the holidays is this Beet Orange Pomegranate Salad with the Lilikoi Balsamic Dressing.
Leave a Reply