I am always searching for a festive and flavorful update to the traditional Cranberry sauce recipe. I prefer to use less refined sweeteners if possible. This Ginger Orange Cranberry Sauce has a balance of flavors with some subtle spiciness from the ginger ale and powdered ginger and is sweetened with maple syrup.
Place cranberries into a small pot.
Add maple syrup, ginger ale, orange juice and zest, and powdered ginger.
Heat to a boil and then down to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Use the back of a spoon to crush the whole cranberries.
- 8 oz. fresh, frozen cranberries
- ½ C. Maple syrup
- ¾ C. Ginger ale, I used Q brand
- ¼ C. Orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 T. Orange zest
- ¼-1/2 t. Ginger, powdered
- 1 t. Vanilla bean paste
- Place all ingredients, except the vanilla bean paste, into a small sauce pot.
- Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Stir frequently and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Gently crush cranberries to make a thicker more uniform sauce.
- After removing from the heat add the vanilla bean paste. Let cool and refrigerate.
- Enjoy with your holiday meals and also on top of your oatmeal in the morning.