This is a great soup for the transition from Summer to Fall. This Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder is creamy, spicy, sweet, and filling. With just a few ingredients, a bit of simmering, and a quick blend, you will create a wonderful festive meal. Serve it with some steamed broccoli and whole grain rustic bread. I used fresh corn kernels off the cob, but you could use frozen corn as well.
The main ingredients include: onion, garlic, celery, corn kernels, Yukon gold potatoes, oregano, and cumin.
Diced chipotle in adobo sauce. This gives a smokey and spicy kick. Add 1/2 to 1 pepper depending on your taste preference.
After you sauté the onion in the vegan butter until slightly caramelized, add the celery, garlic, potatoes, chipotle in adobo, cumin and oregano. Cook for about 5 minutes.
This is about 5 minutes into the cooking. It smells really good!
Next, you mix in the fresh corn kernels and vegetable broth. Simmer this for about 20-25 minutes or until the potato is tender.
Next, blend about three-quarters of the soup in a blender until smooth and add back into the soup pot. Then add the cashew cream.
I wanted a rich chowder type texture with some potatoes and corn kernels left whole.
This photo is to show the nice texture. I also love the beautiful color.
And here is the finished soup. I garnished it with creamy local avocado, chopped cilantro, fresh corn kernels, a squeeze of Tahitian lime, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder
- 1 T. Vegan butter
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1/2 C. Celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes diced
- 1/2-1 Chipotle in Adobo sauce chopped
- 1 t. Oregano dried
- 1 t. Cumin toasted, ground
- 4 C. Corn kernels 4-7 cobs, mine were small
- 3 C. Vegetable broth
- 1 C. Water
- 1/2 C. Cashews raw
- Cilantro Avocado, Smoked paprika, Fresh corn kernels
- For the cashew cream, blend the water and cashews in a high-speed blender. If you don't have one, make sure to soak the cashews for an hour or two to help them blend more easily. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a pan. Sauté the onion until slightly brown.
- Add the celery, garlic, potatoes, oregano, cumin, and chipotle. Cook this for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the corn and vegetable broth. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Blend the soup in batches until smooth. Add back to the soup pot. Add the cashew cream and combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish and enjoy!
If you make this, I would love to hear what you thought.