Vegan Blueberry Lemon Scones
We've been able to find fresh, organic blueberries recently so I thought that scones would be a nice breakfast. To me a great flavor combination is blueberries and lemon so here is a recipe I came up with. I try to use whole grains and whole food sweeteners in my baking. This recipe uses all whole wheat pastry flour and coconut sugar in the scone and turbinado sugar sprinkled on top to add a nice crunch.
Servings: 8 scones
- 2 C. Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 C. Coconut sugar
- 1 T. Baking powder
- Just shy of a 1/2 t. Sea salt
- 1/4 t. Ceylon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 t. Ginger powdered (next time I will try a 1/2 t. For a bit more punch)
- 1/4 C. Coconut oil unrefined
- 1/2 C. Vanilla Almond milk any plant-based milk will work
- 2 T. Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Lemons zested
- 2/3 C. Blueberries tossed in small amount of flour
- Almond milk to brush over scones
- 2 T. Turbinado sugar to sprinkle over scones before baking
- Mix whole wheat pastry flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Cut in coconut oil until small chunks form. This makes the finished product more flakey.
- Add almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, just until a sticky dough forms.
- Gently add blueberries dusted in a bit of flour. This helps them not bleed into the dough.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured counter top, sprinkle with more flour, and shape into a circle about 1" thick.
- Cut into eight triangles and place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with almond milk and sprinkle Turbinado sugar on each scone. Gently press the sugar into the scone.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 15 minutes. They are done when they are golden on top.
- Serve warm with coffee or tea.
Please follow and like us: