I love crepes so I thought how can I make vegan crepes, because traditional recipes contain dairy, eggs, and butter. It so happens that the method is simple, quick, and you won’t miss the dairy and eggs at all. I also incorporate whole grains into my recipes whenever possible. Even with half whole wheat pastry flour, they came out light with crispy edges. The method ended up being simple, put all of the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Let the batter rest for 1 hour before cooking the crepes.
Next, begin by sautéing the onions.
Add the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt.
Then, add minced garlic and Marsala wine to deglaze the little, flavorful brown bits from the bottom of the pan. And then the really yummy part is adding the cashew cream.
Once this is heated through, add the steamed asparagus and toss lightly.
Fill your crepes with the luscious creamy filling and serve with a salad of spring greens.
- For Crepes:
- ½ C. All-purpose flour
- ½ C. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 t. Sea salt
- 1½ C. Plant-based milk of choice, unsweetened, plain (I used soy milk)
- 3 T. Grape seed oil
- You may need to thin the batter with a bit of water so it pours easily before cooking the crepes.
- Extra grape seed oil for cooking crepes
- For Cashew Cream:
- ½ C. Raw cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours,marinade and drained
- ¾ C. Water
- 1 t. Sea salt, scant
- ½ small onion
- Mushroom and Asparagus Filling:
- 1 t. Grape seed oil
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 C. Sliced mushrooms
- 4 t. Minced garlic
- ¼ c. Marsala wine, dry
- 1½ t. Thyme, dried, crushed between your fingers
- 1½ C. Lightly steamed asparagus, 1" pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Begin by blending all crepe ingredients, flours, salt, milk, and oil, in a blender until smooth and creamy. Let sit for 1 hour before cooking crepes.
- Next, blend all cashew cream ingredients, cashews, water, salt, and onion, until smooth and creamy.
- Then, lightly steam asparagus until just fork tender.
- In a pan, heat grape seed oil, then add onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté until translucent and then add mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are slightly browned and have released their juices.
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the Marsala wine.
- Add cashew cream, thyme, pepper and steamed asparagus. Heat through. Add salt to taste.
- To cook crepes, heat grape seed oil in a non-stick pan. Add about ⅓ C. of crepe batter (I had to add a bit of water to thin the batter out) and quickly rotate pan to spread the batter as thin as possible. Cook about 1 minute, until edges are just beginning to crisp. Flip over and cook about 15 seconds more. Place on a plate covered with a clean kitchen towel. The more you do the easier it will get.
- Fill your crepes with the Asparagus and Mushroom Cream Sauce. Dollop a bit more filling on top and garnish with sliced red bell pepper.