Fresh Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
A lovely, flavorful summer roll that can be made ahead and also transports well for a picnic at the beach. You can use whatever ingredients are available and fresh. Make sure to use plenty of Thai basil, cilantro, and flat-leaf Italian parsley because they are the secret ingredient.
Servings: 10 -12 rolls
- Tofu Marinade
- 1 T. Sesame oil toasted
- 1 1/2 T.. Shoyu low-sodium
- 2-3 t. Agave nectar organic and raw
- 1 t. Rice vinegar not seasoned
- 1-2 t. Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 t. Ginger ground or 1/2 T. Ginger, freshly grated
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1 T. Ginger freshly grated
- 2 T. Peanut butter natural
- 2 T. Tahini ground sesame seed butter
- 3 T. Shoyu
- 1-2 T. Agave nectar
- 2 t. Rice vinegar
- 3 T. Water
- 14 oz. Tofu extra-firm, Wildwood brand is my favorite, no need to press it
- 1-2 T. Sesame seeds
- 5 Lettuce leaves washed, dried, and torn into pieces red leaf was great
- 4 carrots sliced into julienne
- 1 C. Red cabbage chopped
- Thai basil washed, dried, separated from stalk
- Cilantro washed, dried, separated from stems
- Flat-leaf Italian Parsley washed, dried sea-a rated from stems
- 10-12 Rice paper wrappers
- To make the tofu marinade, in an 8"X11" rectangular-shaped glass pan, whisk together the sesame oil, shoyu, agave nectar, rice vinegar, sriiracha sauce and ginger.
- Cut the tofu into strips about 2" long and 1/2" wide.
- Place the strips into the pan and coat all sides with marinade.
- Cover and let sit for 2-8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Next, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the tofu with sesame seeds. Bake the tofu in the glass pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn the tofu, sprinkle second side with sesame seeds, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the tofu cool.
- While the tofu cools, make the spicy peanut butter dipping sauce by placing the grated ginger, peanut butter, tahini, shoyu, agave nectar, rice vinegar and water in a small food processor.
- Blend until smooth and place in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Prepare all of your vegetables, the lettuce, carrots, cabbage, and herbs.
- To assemble the rolls, find a shallow container that can hold a rice paper wrapper.
- Fill the container with warm water and place one rice paper wrapper in it.
- Allow the wrapper to soak for about 10 seconds to begin to soften.
- Place the wrapper on a damp surface. I used a small plastic cutting board.
- Place a few pieces of lettuce down the center of your wrapper.
- Next, add 2 tofu sticks on top of the lettuce.
- Add carrots, cabbage, and plenty of the herbs.
- Fold the top and bottom of the wrapper in toward the center and roll into a small burrito shape.
- Place in a container with damp paper towels between the layers of rolls.
- They may stick together a bit but if you are gentle you should be able to ease them apart intact.
- Serve the rolls by cutting them in half withe dipping sauce on the side.
You won’t be sorry if you make these. They really are delicious!