Fresh Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
A lovely, flavorful summer roll that can be made ahead and also transports well for a picnic at the beach. You can use whatever ingredients are available and fresh. Make sure to use plenty of Thai basil, cilantro, and flat-leaf Italian parsley because they are the secret ingredient.
Recipe type: Pupus
Serves: 10-12 rolls
- Tofu Marinade
- 1 T. Sesame oil, toasted
- 1½ T.. Shoyu, low-sodium
- 2-3 t. Agave nectar, organic and raw
- 1 t. Rice vinegar, not seasoned
- 1-2 t. Sriracha sauce
- ½ t. Ginger, ground or ½ T. Ginger, freshly grated
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1 T. Ginger, freshly grated
- 2 T. Peanut butter, natural
- 2 T. Tahini (ground sesame seed butter)
- 3 T. Shoyu
- 1-2 T. Agave nectar
- 2 t. Rice vinegar
- 3 T. Water
- 14 oz. Tofu, extra-firm, Wildwood brand is my favorite, no need to press it
- 1-2 T. Sesame seeds
- 5 Lettuce leaves, washed, dried, and torn into pieces red leaf was great
- 4 carrots, sliced into julienne
- 1 C. Red cabbage, chopped
- Thai basil, washed, dried, separated from stalk
- Cilantro, washed, dried, separated from stems
- Flat-leaf Italian Parsley, washed, dried sea-a rated from stems
- 10-12 Rice paper wrappers
- To make the tofu marinade, in an 8"X11" rectangular-shaped glass pan, whisk together the sesame oil, shoyu, agave nectar, rice vinegar, sriiracha sauce and ginger.
- Cut the tofu into strips about 2" long and ½" wide.
- Place the strips into the pan and coat all sides with marinade.
- Cover and let sit for 2-8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Next, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the tofu with sesame seeds. Bake the tofu in the glass pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn the tofu, sprinkle second side with sesame seeds, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the tofu cool.
- While the tofu cools, make the spicy peanut butter dipping sauce by placing the grated ginger, peanut butter, tahini, shoyu, agave nectar, rice vinegar and water in a small food processor.
- Blend until smooth and place in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Prepare all of your vegetables, the lettuce, carrots, cabbage, and herbs.
- To assemble the rolls, find a shallow container that can hold a rice paper wrapper.
- Fill the container with warm water and place one rice paper wrapper in it.
- Allow the wrapper to soak for about 10 seconds to begin to soften.
- Place the wrapper on a damp surface. I used a small plastic cutting board.
- Place a few pieces of lettuce down the center of your wrapper.
- Next, add 2 tofu sticks on top of the lettuce.
- Add carrots, cabbage, and plenty of the herbs.
- Fold the top and bottom of the wrapper in toward the center and roll into a small burrito shape.
- Place in a container with damp paper towels between the layers of rolls.
- They may stick together a bit but if you are gentle you should be able to ease them apart intact.
- Serve the rolls by cutting them in half withe dipping sauce on the side.
You won’t be sorry if you make these. They really are delicious!
Please follow and like us: