All it takes are a few ingredients to make delicious and nutritious home cooked Greek Chickpeas!
- 3 C. Chickpeas, dried, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours or so
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 T. Yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 t. Cumin powder
- ½ t. Coriander powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ t. Black pepper, ground
- 1 t. Salt or to taste
- 1 T. Lemon juice
- 1 T. Lemon zest
- Rinse and soak your chickpeas for about 8 hours. Overnight works well. Be sure to cover with several inches of water, they really plump up.
- After they have soaked, rinse well and drain the chickpeas.
- Either oil or water sauté you onions until tender. Add the carrot, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander, bay leaves, and black pepper.
- Cook for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas and water to cover by at least an inch. Bring to a simmer and cook for about an hour with pot lid cracked. Check for doneness by putting a bean on a plate. If it smashes easily with a fork it is cooked.
- Next, add salt, lemon juice, and zest. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
You can also just eat this as a soup, if you add extra water.