It has been warming up here on Maui. So I thought what is going to be quick, easy and use up my Farmer’s Market vegetables? ….. How about Gazpacho?!
My parents introduced me to a version of this recipe as a child. I remember thinking how strange it was to make cold soup. Now I get it and really enjoy this recipe in the summer time and don’t want to heat up the house.
- 2 large, red vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large, yellow vine-ripened tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 C. Cucumber, chopped, peel if not organic or coated in wax
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and veins removed, chopped
- 2 T. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 T. Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 sprigs Cilantro
- 2 sprigs Basil
- A couple Mint leaves
- 1 t. Tabasco
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse to desired consistency.
- Chill and then garnish with extra cilantro.
I have also made this without the olive oil and honestly it was surprisingly just as good.