I love this Vegan Cream of Broccoli soup for many reasons but mainly that it is quick, simple and is a great way to eat more green vegetables. I try to eat cruciferous vegetables at least once a day. This soup makes it easy as well as tasty. You will not miss animal-based cream in this soup at all. The cashew cream is every bit as smooth, creamy, and rich without the saturated fat and cholesterol. You can confidently feed this elegant soup to omnivores and no one will be the wiser…unless you tell them.
I like to serve this with a green salad and garlic toast on a multi-grain baguette.
It is great reheated the next day or even after being frozen. You can easily change the vegetables that you use. I’ve used asparagus, cauliflower, and broccolini. All were great. If you try something different, please leave a comment and let me know what you like.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Potatoes medium-sized, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 4 C. Vegetable bouillon
- 1 T. Dried basil or Herbs de Provence
- 4 C. Broccoli chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 C. Cashews raw
- 1 C. Water
- 2 T. Nutritional yeast
- Heat large pot and add extra virgin olive oil.
- Sauté onions until beginning to get a bit of color.
- Add potatoes and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Next, add vegetable bouillon, basil, and broccoli.
- Simmer until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- While the soup is cooking, blend the cashews, nutritional yeast, and water in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. This is the cashew cream.
- Blend the soup in several batches until velvety smooth, including the cashew cream.
- Put the soup back in the original pot and heat through, making sure not to overheat and over cook the cashew cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
I have substituted asparagus, cauliflower, and broccolini for the broccoli with great success.